Post/View answers here: Chapter 11 Answers
Beginning of chapter up to "Internal Structure of East Asian Cities" (pp. 413-422).
1. Describe the structure of the classic Chinese capital city (as exemplified by Changan).
2. How did Chinese city structure affect urban development in Japan and Korea?
3. Describe the Portuguese impact in East Asia.
4. Describe the Dutch impact in East Asia.
5. What were "treaty ports" in China?
6. What factors contributed to the emergence of Shanghai as the dominant center of China by the eve of World War Two?
7. Describe the Japanese impact on China, Korea, and Taiwan prior to World War Two.
8. Why is Japan referred to as the "Asian Exception?" What impact did this have on Japan's urban development?
9. When was the Tokugawa period in Japan? Describe the urban changes that took place in Japan during this period.
"Urban Problems and Their Solutions" up to "Other Paths in East Asia" (pp. 445-449). Including Boxes 11.3 and 11.4
10. Compare and contrast the "Maoist Era" in China with the "Reform Era."
Key terms: iron rice bowl, SEZs, hukou, floating population